Ricardo Campello is an Attorney at Law at Licks Attorney’s Rio de Janeiro office since 2011. Mr. Campello has a wide-ranging practice in Food and Drug Law for companies in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device and cosmetic industries. Mr. Campello assists his clients in their day-to-day business operations, as well as on specific regulatory issues in the fields of clinical trials ethic review process, GMP inspections, application for marketing approval, post-marketing amendments, product liability, labeling and advertising requirements.
In the recent years, aside his regulatory practice, Ricardo has been deeply involved with the implementation of Federal Government’s Industrial Policy for the pharmaceutical sector by signing tech transfer and drug supply agreements with government-owned pharmaceutical industries (Partnership for Productive Development – PDP agreements).
- Food & Drug Law
- Government Contracts & Public Procurements
- Regulatory Law
- Trade Secrets & Regulatory
- Intellectual Property
- Unfair Competition
- Life Sciences
- Represented a Japanese pharmaceutical company in the leading case discussing the requirements for signing and implementing contracts related to the PDP program of the Ministry of Health;
- Represented a client on a class action filed by the municipality seeking to force the 40 defendants to sell their drugs with the mandatory discount established by the Brazilian legislation for sales to the public administration;
- Assisted a Korean pharmaceutical company on all steps of the negotiations of the 2015 round of the PDP program before the Ministry of Health;
- Represented a US biopharmaceutical company on the first class action in Brazil discussing whether the sponsor of a clinical trial is bound to supply, without any time limitation, the drug tested in the clinical trials to an individual after their completion, as well as whether the sponsor is liable to reimburse the government for the costs involving said supply.
+ Professional Highlights
- Speaker at the Third Meeting on Sanitary Law held by the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (Fiocruz) on the topic of “The Effectiveness of Court Decisions that Provide Brazilian Citizens with Access to Public Policies on Free Drug Distribution” (2009).
+ Representative Experience
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB – RJ).
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB – SP).
- LL.M, Government Procurement, George Washington University (GWU), 2020;
- LL.M, Public Law and Regulation, Getulio Vargas Foundation (FGV), 2012;
- LL.B, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), 2009;
“The price regulation in Brazil: Roche faces IP rights abuse claims” (Lifesciences Intellectual Property Review, online edition, 2016);“Partnering for Profit” (Lifesciences Intellectual Property Review, online edition, 2015).